A message from Very Rev Christopher Smith, Episcopal Vicar and Rector
March 25, 2020
In compliance with the mandates being made by government leaders and the Diocese of Orange, the following measures are being implemented at Christ Cathedral Parish:
- As of March 20, 2020, Bishop Vann has directed that in conformity with the governor’s order for the public to stay at home, all parish sites, including Christ Cathedral, will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Bishop Vann has suspended all public Masses in the Diocese until further notice.
- The faithful will be able to view daily Mass from Christ Cathedral via livestream in English at 6:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 5:30 p.m. at http://Facebook.com/ChristCathedralCA.
- Edward the Confessor will livestream its 8:15 a.m. morning Mass from Monday through Saturday and 9:00 a.m. on Sunday at http://stedward.com/stedcast/.
- Christ Cathedral will livestream Sunday Mass in English at 9:45 a.m., Spanish at 11:30 a.m. and Vietnamese at 1:15 p.m. at http://Facebook.com/ChristCathedralCA.
- The regularly scheduled hours for Confession have been suspended until further notice.
- Stations of the Cross have been canceled.
- Celebrations of Baptism have been suspended until further notice.
- The bishop is asking that Funerals be postponed until a later date, if possible. If a funeral is scheduled, it will be with the understanding that attendance should be limited to 10 people, beginning with immediate family. Funerals will be looked at on a case to case basis.
- Weddings and Quinceaneras that have not already requested to be postponed are being asked to reschedule.
- All faith formation classes and activities for students, as well as all activities for catechists, volunteers and parents are being suspended until further notice. This includes the faith formation programs and activities for youth that take place in all the languages. It also includes classes and activities for students, parents and volunteers in the Confirmation program.
- All Youth and Young Adult programs and activities are being suspended until further notice.
- All activities of ministerial groups and organizations of the parish are being suspended until further notice.
- First Communions and Confirmation will remain as scheduled unless a revision is required.
- Parish office hours will remain the same for the moment. Revised hours may be forthcoming.
During these difficult times, let us hold one another in prayer. We especially pray for the sick, health care providers, public health officials, diocesan and community leaders during the weeks ahead.
Together in faith,
Very Rev. Christopher H. Smith, Rector